Pellegrino: Southampton sack manager amid dismal run
Sitting just a point above the Premier League bottom three, Southampton have relieved Mauricio Pellegrino of his duties.
Southampton have sacked manager Mauricio Pellegrino following a dismal run of form that has put the Saints firmly in the Premier League relegation mire.
Pellegrino fired after run of one win in 17 in the league
An abject display in a 3-0 defeat to relegation rivals Newcastle United proved the final straw, that result leaving the side with just one win in their last 17 Premier League games.
One point above drop zone with eight matches left
They are only a point above third-bottom Crystal Palace with eight games to play, with their next fixture an FA Cup quarter-final with League One Wigan Athletic before a crucial trip to 16th-placed West Ham.
Pellegrino, who has also coached Valencia, Estudiantes, Independiente and Alavés, leaves after nine months in charge, having replaced Claude Puel in the Southampton hot seat last summer.
Assistant manager Carlos Compagnucci and first-team coach Xavier Tamarit have also departed St. Mary's.
Saints to name replacement "as soon as possible"
"We would like to place on record our thanks to Mauricio, Carlos and Xavier for their efforts during their time with Southampton, and wish them well for the future," the Saints said in a statement.
"The club will look to appoint a new management team as soon as possible, with the search for a replacement already under way."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In