Lucas Hernández called up by France, delivers blow to Lopetegui
French-born Atlético Madrid defender Lucas Hernández has been called up by Didier Deschamps, despite Julen Lopetegui's attempt to woo him.
Atlético Madrid defender Lucas Hernández has been called up to the France squad for friendly matches against Colombia and Russia.
Disappointment for Lopetegui
This is the first time that Lucas - who was born in Marseille but grew up in Spain - has been called up by the senior national team, but he has represented France at youth level.
The news comes as a blow for Spain coach Julen Lopetegui, who had hoped to tempt Lucas in to representing La Roja. Indeed, the 22-year-old dropped hints that he would favour Spain over France. "Spain has given me everything and if my Spanish nationality is close to being finalised I'd be delighted," he said at the start of March, "I consider myself another Spaniard. I speak Spanish better than French."
"I have spoken with Deschamps and he already knows what I think," said Lucas in January.
Deschamps denies skulduggery
Deschamps denied that he had called up Lucas to avoid him declaring his allegiance to Spain.
"I would never call up a player to stop them playing for another country. He's really happy to come and play with us."
Goalkeepers: Areola, Lloris, Mandanda.
Defenders: Digne, Lucas Hernández, Kimpembe, Koscielny, Pavard, Sidibe, Umtiti, Varane.
Midfielders: Kante, Lemar, Matuidi, Pogba, Rabiot, Tolisso.
Strikers: Ben Yedder, Dembélé, Giroud, Griezmann, Martial, Mbappé, Thauvin.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up