Ostapenko to face Stephens in Miami Open final
The French Open holder will face the reigning US Open champion in the Key Biscayne final after overcoming qualifier Danielle Collins.
Jelena Ostapenko booked her spot in the Miami Open final with a hard-fought straight-sets win over Danielle Collins on Thursday.
Ostapenko, the French Open champion, overcame American qualifier Collins 7-6 (7-1) 6-3 in their semi-final.
The win saw world number five Ostapenko set up a meeting with US Open champion Sloane Stephens in the decider.
The final will be the sixth of Ostapenko's WTA Tour career as she aims for a third title.
Ostapenko, 20, was challenged by Collins – whose run to the last four included wins over Venus Williams and Coco Vandeweghe – needing to save a set point in the 12th game.
But from then on the Latvian was in control, winning through in one hour, 39 minutes to set up a clash with Stephens.
Stephens beat three-time champion Victoria Azarenka 3-6 6-2 6-1 earlier in the day.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is a government shutdown going to happen at the end of the month?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Football heading for 30-minute halves and stopped clock
- NFL Houston's Mills will be fourth rookie QB to start this year
- NFL Tom Brady admits he wants to be paid in Bitcoin
- SOCCER UEFA criticises FIFA for lack of consultation on World Cup proposals
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash