Real Madrid have second place in their own hands after Atleti lose
Atlético Madrid's surprise defeat to Espanyol at the Wanda Metropolitano means Zinedine Zidane's side have second place in their sights.
Real Madrid will finish in second place in LaLiga if they win all of their remaining games. Zinedine Zidane's side have their runner-up spot in their own hands after Atlético Madrid's surprise home defeat to Espanyol on Sunday afternoon.
Atlético suffer first Liga defeat at new home
Los Rojiblancos lost their first ever league match at the Wanda Metropolitano to hand Madrid an added incentive ahead of El Clásico. It is also the first time Atlético have lost a home match by more than a single goal since February 2014. Barcelona have already sealed the title, but the prize of which Madrid club finishes higher remains up for grabs.
Atlético will retain second place regardless of what happens at Camp Nou, as they have a four-point advantage over Madrid. Los Blancos, however, have played two matches fewer.
Europa League final a bigger concern
If Real Madrid win in El Clásico and then beat Sevilla at the Sánchez Pizjuán, they will finish above their rivals in the Spanish capital. Although, with the Europa League final against Marseille still to come and Champions League football confirmed for next season, that may not be a huge concern for Atleti.
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history