Atlético mulling a move for Celtic left back Kieran Tierney
The 20-year-old Scotland international has been shining for the Glasgow club and is now on Diego Simeone's summer shopping list, according to the BBC.
Atlético Madrid are starting to look ahead to the 2018-19 season and are in the market for a left back due to Filipe Luis’ injury problems this season and a lack of natural cover for the Brazilian on that side of defence.
Lucas Hernández has done a good job of filling on for Filipe when required but his natural position is as a central defender, leading Diego Simeone to comb the market for a new left-sided defender this summer. Jonny, of Celta Vigo, is one option being mooted but the 24-year-old is naturally right-sided and only plays on the left for the Galician side due to Hugo Mallo’s occupancy of the right back slot.
Simeone keen on Tierney
Now, the BBC have reported that Simeone’s gaze has alighted on Celtic and Scotland international full back Kieran Tierney. The 20-year-old was recently named club captain at Celtic and has a contract until 2023 and the Glasgow side are unlikely to make negotiations easy for a player who debuted at 16 and has four goals and 11 assists to his name this season.
Atlético will also face stiff competition from the Premier League, with Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham among the clubs credited with an interest in Tierney.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats