Leganés speak to Pellegrino as replacement for Garitano
The two parties spoke last week but the Argentine asked for more time to mull it over and see if any other, potentially better, offers come rolling in.
Leganés have included Mauricio Pellegrino to the list of coaches they are keeping their eye on once Asier Garitano leaves at the end of the season. The manager, formerly of Alavés, Valencia and Southampton left the Premier League club during the season and could be interested in a return to LaLiga. Garitano confirmed he would leave the club last week although Jagoba Arrasate of Numancia in Segunda remains the man highlighted as the frontrunner for the role.
Contact between Leganés and Pellegrino took place a week ago. The answer from the former defender was that he needs time to mull it over. The Argentine wants to wait and see if any other offer comes rolling in so he can assess them all. He is without a team since March when Southampton fired him. In has last role in LaLiga, he got Alavés into the Copa del Rey final where they lost to Barcelona.
Aside from Pellegrino, the club are keeping tabs on Arrasate (who they like as his profile is similar to that of Garitano) along with Victor Sánchez, Juan Muñiz and Rubi and Guti has been linked with the role also.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?