Buffon: Any club would want Juventus great, says PSG chief
Alphonse Areola's place as Paris Saint-Germain's number one has been backed by Nasser Al-Khelaifi, despite links to Gianluigi Buffon.
Any club would want Gianluigi Buffon, but Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi insists Alphonse Areola will remain the first-choice goalkeeper at Parc des Princes.
Buffon bid farewell to Juventus as an illustrious 17-year stay in Turin came to an end on Saturday when he made his final appearance for the club in a 2-1 victory over Verona.
The 40-year-old was given an emotional send-off by team-mates, opposition players and fans before Juve celebrated their seventh successive Scudetto at Allianz Stadium.
PSG chief lauds "fantastic" Buffon - but backs Areola
A move to PSG has been touted for Buffon, and while Al-Khelaifi admitted the veteran keeper would be a benefit for any club, he stated PSG will keep the faith with youth product Areola next season.
"Buffon is a fantastic goalkeeper. But Areola is our starter and he will be next season as well," Al-Khelaifi told L'Equipe.
"You know me well - do you really think I'd tell you which players we are monitoring? Now we have Areola. He is our number one for the coming season.
"Buffon is a fantastic goalkeeper, charismatic, a great guy. I'm sure that any club would want him."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In