Neymar made mistake joining PSG - Rivaldo
Brazil legend Rivaldo says Neymar needs to leave Paris Saint-Germain if he wants to win the Ballon d'Or.
Neymar made a mistake joining Paris Saint-Germain, according to former Barcelona and Brazil star Rivaldo.
Brazilian legend Rivaldo on Neymar
The 26-year-old left Barca for PSG in a world-record move last year and has excelled in Ligue 1, but compatriot Rivaldo feels he will not be able to reach his full potential in France.
He told Sport: "If you want to be the best in the world, PSG are strong, but they don't have tradition in the Champions League, they're not the strongest in Europe.
"The French league isn't like the English, Spanish or German leagues, either.
Obrigado Deus... muito feliz de ter mais uma oportunidade de representar a minha nação!— Neymar Jr (@neymarjr) May 14, 2018
Partiu, Rússia !!!! 🇧🇷 pic.twitter.com/YNCStoMW7N
"For that reason, I think he made a mistake, but financially it was good for him and his family.
"You have to win the Champions League, achieve something different, to win the Ballon d'Or. His team will always win the league and the cup but, like I say, it's not the strongest championship."
Neymar is nearing a return from a fractured foot suffered with PSG as he looks to lead Brazil in this year's World Cup and improve on a fourth-placed finish four years ago.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In