Four sent off as Ajaccio win chaotic Le Havre play-off
Ajaccio needed a penalty shoot-out to beat Le Havre in a frenetic Ligue 2 play-off that saw four players sent off in extra-time.
Four players were sent off in extra-time before Ajaccio beat Le Havre 5-3 in a penalty shoot-out at the end of a chaotic Ligue 2 play-off at the Stade Francois Coty.
Players from both sides were involved in a huge fracas after Jean-Philippe Mateta scored his second goal of the game to give Le Havre a 2-1 lead in extra-time, after efforts from Ghislain Gimbert and Mateta produced a 1-1 draw in normal time.
Mateta's celebrations after scoring from a penalty, which was awarded when Ajaccio's Mathieu Coutadeur confronted the referee during play, sparked angry reactions from Le Havre's players.
The game was already being played amid a tense atmosphere after Ajaccio fans attacked the Le Havre team bus on Friday, leading to the fixture being postponed, and red cards were shown to Coutadeur and Mateta as well as Joris Sainati and Denys Bain.
VIIIIITTTOOORIAA !!! Victoire à la séance des tirs aux buts !!! Avec un excellent Jean-Louis Leca!! Bravo à nos joueurs !!! pic.twitter.com/6O0rj39twF— AC Ajaccio (@ACAjaccio) May 20, 2018
Just as it looked as though Le Havre were set to clinch a controversial victory, Mohamed Mady Camara scored a stunning goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time in extra-time to send the game to penalties.
Zinedine Ferhat missed Le Havre's first kick of the shoot-out while Ajaccio's takers held their nerve, scoring all five of their penalties to set up a final play-off with Ligue 1 strugglers Toulouse.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth