Diego Godín and Luis Suárez declare support for Paolo Guerrero
The Uruguayan pair have tweeted their support for Peru captain Paolo Guerrero, who is set to miss the World Cup due to a drugs ban.
The Uruguay national team have pledged their support to Peru captain Paolo Guerrero, who is appealing to FIFA to overturn a ban incurred for testing positive for cocaine.
Godín and Suárez stand with Guerrero
Diego Godín, the Uruguay captain, and Luis Suárez, the star player, both tweeted their support for Guerrero on behalf of the Celeste squad. “Our support to Paolo Guerrero in this difficult moment,” Godín wrote. “Solidarity with Paolo Guerreru in this difficult moment,” Suárez wrote, “I support you”.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport extended Guerrero’s ban from six months to 14 months. He will miss the Russia World Cup as Peru make their first appearance at the tournament since 1982.
Australia, Denmark, and France will face Peru in the group stage of the World Cup and the captain of each of those nations - Mile Jedinak, Simon Kjaer, Hugo Lloris - have already signed a joint letter asking FIFA to revoke Guerrero’s ban.
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online