Zidane equals Paisley and Ancelotti with third win
The Real Madrid coach has ensured his place in history by becoming the only manager to win three consecutive Champions League titles.
Having been a top-flight coach for just two and a half years, Zinedine Zidane has equalled Bob Paisley and Carlo Ancelotti as one of only three coaches to have won the European Cup three times, bringing him level with the two legends of the game, with the additional feat of having done it in record time and as the only coach in the history of football to win Europe's greatest club prize on three consecutive occasions.
Paisley: one club man
Paisley, who won his three titles (1977, 1978 and 1981) in charge of Liverpool (he was previously the only manager to do it with one club) took seven seasons to bring home his three European trophies. Ancelotti (2003 and 2004 with Milan and 2014 with Real Madrid) took 19 years, from the moment he took over Reggiana in 1995-96.
Of the many tournaments Zidane has coached in as Real Madrid manager, it's clear, from the results, which is his favourite. Since he took over in January 2016 Real Madrid have won the nine knock-out ties and three finals in the Champions League in which they've taken part.
Zidane: Ninth trophy of a possible 13
The Frenchman picked up his third Champions League trophy as a coach in Kiev and his ninth trophy out of a possible 13, a win rate of 69.2%. As such, he oustrips Luis Molowny as the coach with the second-most trophies in Real Madrid history with only the great Miguel Muñoz now ahead of Zidane on 14.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL | PACKERS Rodgers: Packers Super Bowl contenders after 49ers win
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES What’s the latest on the NYC DOE covid-19 vaccine mandate?
- US NEWS What caused the Amtrak train derailment?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Ansu Fati returns to Barcelona after long layoff
- NFL Mahomes talks after Kansas City Chief's 30-24 defeat to Los Angeles Chargers
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ancelotti on Sheriff, Modric, Kroos, Zidane, Mendy