Mourinho makes a move for Sevilla's Clement Lenglet
According to L'Equipe, Manchester United are interested in the France under-21 international and will meet his release clause of 35 million euros.
Manchester United are preparing an offer for in-demand Sevilla defender Clement Lenglet and are prepared to trigger his release clause of 35 million euros this summer as José Mourinho looks to restructure his back line ahead of the 2018-19 season.
According to L’Equipe, Mourinho is eager to sneak in ahead of Barcelona, who have a long-standing interest in the 22-year-old, after witnessing first-hand what the defender is capable of during last season’s Champions League.
Mourinho impressed by Lenglet in Champions League
Lenglet was key in nullifying United’s attack in a 0-0 draw in the Sánchez Pizjuán as Sevilla eventually eliminated Mourinho’s side over two legs with a 2-1 victory at Old Trafford. That performance was enough to convince the Portuguese to make a move for the France under-21 international, who also carries a goal threat from set-pieces, scoring four times for Sevilla last season.
However, the Sánchez Pizjuán board are intent on retaining their man with sporting director Joaquín Caparrós confident that he can be persuaded his future lies in Seville. “At the moment nobody has spoken to the president or the club with regard to Lenglet,” Caparrós told Radio Sevilla on Monday. “He is very happy here and has everything clear in his mind. He knows that Sevilla are a club that can give him the opportunity to continue to develop and that the time to leave is a long way off yet.”
Recommended in English
- NFL The Rams change ticket policy to restrict 49ers fans ahead of NFC Championship game
- NFL How did the Los Angeles Rams get their name? Origin and meaning
- NBA NBA round-up: Suns equal best-ever start, Garland matches LeBron in Cavs win
- NBA Lakers at Nets: times, TV and how to watch online, NBA 2021-22
- NBA NBA: Nets vs Lakers – injury news
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"