Nadal's set streak ended by Schwartzman as rain halts clash
Diego Schwartzman became the first man to take a set off Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros since 2015 in their rain-interrupted quarter-final clash.
Rafael Nadal saw his remarkable winning run of 37 completed French Open sets brought to an end in Wednesday's rain-interrupted quarter-final meeting with Diego Schwartzman. Going into the clash at Roland Garros, Nadal had not lost a set at the tournament since his defeat to Novak Djokovic in the last eight in 2015.
Have no fear, Diego is here.@dieschwartzman surprises Rafael Nadal and takes the first set 6-4,— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 6, 2018
ending his streak of consecutive sets won in Paris at 37.
Léger séisme sur le Chatrier ! Rafa Nadal vient de perdre son tout premier set de l'édition 2018 ! 6-4 Schwartzman#RG18 pic.twitter.com/fqy8tqV5Wl
Nadal's three-year French Open sets run comes to an end
Nadal only reached the third round in 2016 but his exit then came because of an injury withdrawal and he marched to a 10th French Open title in 2017 without dropping a set. The Spaniard had been on course to do the same at this year's event but saw the first set against Schwartzman go the way of the Argentine, who claimed it 6-4.
Rain interrupts quarter-final match-up
Nadal then fought back to lead the second set 5-3, before heavy rain brought a halt to the last-eight encounter on Court Philippe Chatrier. The 32-year-old, who was serving for the set, will resume at 30-15 on Thursday.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?