Portugal got back to winning ways ahead of the 2018 World Cup by comfortably beating Algeria in Thursday's friendly in Lisbon.
Portugal end winless run against meek Algerians
In what was their final warm-up before the finals in Russia, Fernando Santos' men ended a run of three games without victory courtesy of a double by Gonçalo Guedes and a maiden international goal for Bruno Fernandes.
In the 17th minute at Estadio da Luz, Guedes pounced on Bernardo Silva's smart knock-down to fire past Abdelkadir Salhi, before Fernandes nodded in Cristiano Ronaldo's pinpoint cross shortly before half time.
Guedes then rounded off the scoring after 55 minutes by powering in a header from Raphael Guerreiro's cut-back.
World Cup campaign starts against Spain on 15 June
Portugal now go on to face Iberian neighbours Spain in their opening World Cup match on 15 June in Sochi.
Portugal vs Algeria: as it happened
Portugal vs Algeria: international friendly preview
European champions Portugal host Algeria in their final warm-up before getting their World Cup campaign underway against neighbours Spain on 15 June.
Cristiano starts for out-of-form Portugal
Having joined up with the squad on Monday, Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo starts in Lisbon as Fernando Santos' men bid to prepare for their Group B opener against La Roja by putting an end to an underwhelming recent run of form.
Since beating Egypt in March, the Portuguese have gone three games without a win, losing 3-0 at home to the Netherlands and, over the past 10 days, drawing 2-2 and 0-0 with Tunisia and Belgium, respectively.
Algeria also on a run of disappointing results
Visitors Algeria, who failed to make this year's finals in Russia after finishing rock bottom of their third-round African qualifying group, also head into tonight's clash in poor form, having lost their last three.
The latest defeat for Rabah Madjer's side came last Friday, when they went down 3-2 to Cape Verde on home soil.
Portugal vs Algeria: confirmed line-ups
Portugal XI: Rui Patricio, Soares, Pepe, Bruno alves, Guerreiro, Carvalho, Moutinho, Fernandes, Silva, Guedes, Ronaldo
Head coach: Fernando Santos
Algeria XI: Salhi, Ferhat, Bensebaini, Mandi, Medjani, Benmoussa, Bentaleb, Boukhanchouche, Mahrez, Slimani, Brahimi
Head coach: Rabah Madjer
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early