Mo Salah almost certain to face Uruguay, says Héctor Cúper
Mohamed Salah is expected to recover from his shoulder injury in time for Egypt's World Cup opener against Uruguay in Yekaterinburg tomorrow afternoon.
Mohamed Salah is almost certain to feature in Egypt's World Cup opener against Uruguay on Friday, coach Héctor Cúper told reporters this afternoon. Salah suffered a shoulder injury in Liverpool's 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions League final last month but appears to have recovered in time to play a full part in Russia.
Salah over his shoulder injury
Speaking to the media on the eve of the Group A clash, Egypt boss Cúper said: "Salah is doing very well indeed, he's recovered very quickly. We'll see how it goes today [Thursday]. I can almost assure you 100 per cent he'll play unless something dramatic happens today or tomorrow. We're trying to make him feel confident. The doctors are giving him the options to play or not. I know Salah very well, he's not fearful, we always know we're running a risk when playing a match, that's something we can't hide. But if he does decide to play he'll have full guarantees on his physical condition and I'm sure he will be fine. And if it does turn out there's an issue at the last minute we'll consider it and see if it can be resolved."
Salah, who turns 26 on Friday, arrived at the World Cup after an outstanding season for Liverpool, in which he scored 44 goals in 52 appearances in all competitions and was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year.
The winger sat out all of Egypt's three World Cup warm-up matches, in which the team lost to Belgium after draws against Kuwait and Colombia.
After taking on Uruguay tomorrow, Egypt face hosts Russia on Tuesday before their final group game against Saudi Arabia the following week.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?