Carvajal cleared for World Cup but will miss Spain's opener
Fernando Hierro has finalised his squad list for the World Cup and included the Real Madrid defender, with Rodri and Jesús Vallejo heading home.
Fernando Hierro has elected to retain Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal in his final World Cup squad despite the likelihood Spain’s first-choice right back will not be available for the opening game against Portugal, which could well decide who tops Group B.
The caretaker Spain coach, who will lead the side after Julen Lopetegui’s sacking on Wednesday, had been monitoring the fitness of the Madrid defender in his previous role as sporting director and is satisfied that Carvajal will be fully fit in time for Spain’s second group game against Iran.
Real Sociedad's Odriozola to deputise for Carvajal
Carvajal suffered a ligament strain in the Champions League final and it was initially feared he may be ruled out of the tournament in Russia but was included in the squad when it was confirmed the injury was not as serious as it first appeared.
Real Sociedad right back Álvaro Odriozola will deputise for Carvajal against Portugal. In the meantime, Hierro has dispensed with the services of his two back-ups with his squad now set in stone, meaning that Atlético midfielder Rodri and Real defender Jesús Vallejo will return to Spain after playing their part in training sessions with the squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool