Nagelsmann explains why he turned down Real Madrid
The manager said because of his age and his family situation, it wasn't the right time to move to Real Madrid but another opportunity will arise.
Julian Nagelsmann was one of the coaches named to potentially replace Zinedine Zidane after the former Real Madrid manager left the club abruptly at the end of the season. The Hoffenheim manager, who has already announced that he will become the RB Leipzig manager at the end of the season, said an offer did come in from Madrid but after thinking about it, he decided best to reject the club's advances.
"It's not that I didn't think about it," he told 11Freunde. "Who would hang up the phone on Real Madrid? The Universe Football Club doesn't exist and so there isn't much bigger than Real Madrid," he said.
Nagelsmann says he rejected it due to his age and the fact that another possibility will arise in the future. The German, who turned 31 on July 23rd, said "I am comfortable at 30. If my career continues like it has to now, there will be another opportunity in the future to take charge of a team in that category. My family situation too, it wouldn't have been ideal to move abroad now," he said.
Just days after the speculation. Nagelsmann accepted the offer from RB Leipzig. He achieved Champions League qualification for the Champions League with Hoffenheim for the second year in a row and will leave them at the end of the season when his contract expires.
Te recomendamos en English
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- MLB Braves vs. Astros commentary, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- NFL Report: Cardinals DE J.J. Watt could miss rest of season
- NFL Who plays Thursday night football?
- NBA Lakers outclassed in Oklahoma in a night of NBA surprises