Lopetegui asks for central defender and centre forward
The Real Madrid coach has asked for reinforcements but the club is only willing to bring in new players at a reasonable price and will not overspend.
With three wins and one defeat, Julen Lopetegui has been generally satisfied by the performance level of his team during the preseason. But there are two positions that he still wants to improve: central defence and centre forward.
Lopetegui has told the club that he would prefer to loan out Jesús Vallejo to allow him to have regular game time. The central defender has picked up a muscle injury that will keep him out for four to six weeks, and if, in the meantime, another centre back is brought in, the coach believes he would be better off on loan. Up front, Lopetegui likes Mayoral, but he wants another goal scorer and has not been convinced by Raul de Tomás, who is now set to leave the club.
The club, for its part, will try to satisfy the coach’s demands but only if they can find reinforcements at a reasonable price, as in the case of Thibaut Courtois, who signed from Chelsea last week for 35 million euros.
Lopetegui would also welcome the arrival of a centre midfielder as a replacement for Mateo Kovacic, who has left for Chelsea on loan, and would not be opposed to the exit of Marcos Llorente, who failed to impress during the US tour. In this position, however, the coach has two decent options in Dani Cabellos and Fede Valverde. Amongst the youngsters that came through last season, Cabellos is the only one that has really impressed Lopetegui; while Valverde will stay if there are no other interesting options on the transfer market.
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston