Real Madrid round-up: Mbappé, defence, Kroos, LaLiga, Ramos
The news surrounding Los Blancos including the man said to be blamed for Kylian Mbappé not making the move to the European Champions in Spain.
We take a look across the stories making the news surrounding Real Madrid...
Pre-season defensive woes
The real business of the season may not yet be underway but following the Uefa Super Cup defeat at the hands of Atlético - the first meaningful game - some questions have been asked about Los Blancos' backline under Lopetegui. In their five pre-season games this summer (including Wednesday night's torment in Tallinn) not once have the side kept a clean sheet, and have conceded nine goals in the process. The Super Cup in itself saw errors for each of the four goals - which Simeone's players took advantage of excellently. Maybe a new goalkeeper between the sticks can help solve the issue...
Sergio Ramos is never likely to play the hard-done-to character and was in customary confident mood after the Atleti defeat. Taking to Twitter, the Madrid captain stated:
"We learn something from every defeat. We will make this badge win again. No one will doubt it. #HalaMadrid yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever."
Mbappé sale blame
Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev was chatting away in Tallinn on Wednesday and spoke about the relationship between his club and Real Madrid. "Our clubs are friends," he said. He did add a little more, however, regarding a former star player of his now a World Cup winner at PSG:
"Every time I see Florentino he blames me for not selling Mbappé to him."
Kroos helps blind boy to see
German midfielder Toni Kroos shared a wonderful moment with a young lad from Estonia while on duty for the Uefa Super Cup. Aron is blind but, by using his hands on the face of the Madrid star he was able to visualise one of his heroes. Check out the lovely video here.
LaLiga almost upon us
Friday night sees the start of LaLiga Santander 2018/19. At 20:15 Girona kick things off at home to Valladolid and that is followed by Real Betis hosting Levante at 22:15. Real Madrid's opening fixture looks kind on paper, playing at home to Getafe on Sunday at 22:15, however the pressure is already on Lopetegui and no first-day jitters will be tolerated.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August