Croatia boss Dalic slams 'egoist' Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo's entourage have questioned the decision to name Luka Modric Uefa Player of the Year, leaving Zlatko Dalic unimpressed.
Cristiano Ronaldo is an "egoist" who Croatia head coach Zlatko Dalic would never want in a team of his.
Modric wins Player of the Year award
Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo did not attend Thursday's Uefa ceremony where Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric beat his old club-mate to governing body's Player of the Year award. Modric was inspirational in his country's shock run to the World Cup final after helping Madrid, alongside Ronaldo, to their third consecutive Champions League crown last season.
Criticism followed from the 33-year-old's agent Jorge Mendes, his new president at Juventus Beppe Marotta and even Ronaldo's sister Katia Aveiro.
The cacophony displeased Dalic, but did not exactly leave him surprised. "Ronaldo not attending UEFA ceremony and those comments about Luka winning it... it is not worthy of my comment," he told Sportske Novosti before providing exactly that.
"It only proves what I keep saying: Ronaldo is egoist and I'd never want him in my team.
"He is kind of player that only thinks, 'No matter if we lose, the only thing that matters is that I score a goal!'"
No grudge match
Dalic's words are interestingly timed given Croatia travel to Portugal for a friendly next week but the 51-year-old seemingly has little appetite for a grudge match.
"Our main goal is Euro 2020, so Portugal and UEFA Nation's League is not that important and even to lose against Portugal and Spain is no big deal," he said.
"I am not saying we will not try to win, but I don't want to put too much pressure on our team when Euro 2020 is the next big thing that counts.
"The team is worn out and needs fresh energy, strength and motivation."
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops