Celia Barquín: Iowa State teams to pay tribute to golfer
The Iowa State Cyclones are among those that will sport a memorial to the 22-year-old European amateur champion, who is believed to have been murdered.
Iowa State University is planning a series of tributes this weekend to Spanish golfer Celia Barquín Arozamena, who is believed to have been murdered while she was practicing on the local Coldwater course in Ames in the US state.
Police in Ames subsequently detained a 22-year-old man, named as Collin Daniel Richards, who has been charged with first-degree murder after the discovery of Barquín’s body last Monday morning.
The death of the 22-year-old rising star, who was the reigning European junior champion and was last year named as Female Athlete of the Year at Iowa State, has sent shockwaves through the university and the local community.
Suspect in court over alleged murder of rising golf star
We, among other Cyclone sport teams, will honor the life of Celia Barquin Arozamena with this decal. We continue to send our thoughts and prayers to family, friends and teammates. #CycloneFamily pic.twitter.com/JCMLtkfZ93— Cyclone Football (@CycloneFB) 18 de septiembre de 2018
Richards appeared in court on Tuesday morning when a judge set a $5 million cash-only bond on the suspect, who was homeless and had been living in woods near the Coldwater course, according to local police commander Geoff Huff in quotes reported by CNN.
Barquín, who was completing a degree in civil engineering, also won the 2018 Big 12 Championship and was considered one of the brightest prospects in Spanish women’s golf after qualifying for the 2018 US Open as an amateur.
During the course of the weekend, Iowa State sports teams will wear a tribute to Barquín consisting of a red and white sticker to represent the Spanish flag with her initials. The university’s American football team, the Iowa State Cyclones who compete in the Big 12 Conference, will sport the memorial on their helmets when they play the Akron Zips on Saturday.
Today, we are all deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Celia Barquin Arozamena.— Iowa State Athletics (@CycloneATH) 18 de septiembre de 2018
Our thoughts & condolences are with her family, friends, and our entire Iowa State Community.
We strongly encourage all fans to be in their seats this Saturday by 10:45 AM to pay tribute. pic.twitter.com/ZKFcybwOGh
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?