"I make sporting decisions and not for personal reasons"
The Spanish manager announced his squad ahead of international games against Wales and England and addresses the absence of Jordi Alba.
Luis Enrique spoke to the media after releasing the squad for upcoming international games against England and Wales. Koke is recalled, along with Marc Bartra and Paco Alcacer but there is still no room in the 23-man squad.
"I won't talk about the players who aren't on the list," he said about the absence of the Barcelona left-back. He gave the same response when asked another question about Alba just seconds later as he refuses to comment on individuals who he left out even though the question kept coming up.
"I have never left a player out for personal reasons, always because of sporting issues. Since the start, I said there are players at a very high level that will be off the list and that maybe it's unfair, but there is only space for 23 players," he said when returning to the Alba issue.
He did comment on Joaquin, however, and says he is playing very well and that they would, no doubt, enjoy themselves more if he was in the team. "I don't talk about players not on the list but I mentioned Joaquin because he made a very funny video," he said.
"Alcacer had a brilliant spell at Valencia," he said about the striker's return to the squad. "With us, he didn't play much and when you do get minutes your performance drops. In Dortmund, he is playing more, performing well, scoring goals and I am delighted that he can be with us."
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth