MLS review: Rooney stunner for DC, Sounders clinch play-off spot
Wayne Rooney scored from a stunning set-piece as DC United defeated Toronto 1-0 to extend their winning streak to four games.
Wayne Rooney's sensational free-kick lifted DC United to victory over MLS champions Toronto, while Seattle Sounders qualified for the play-offs.
Rooney continues to shine
Former Manchester United and England captain Rooney scored from a stunning set-piece as DC defeated Toronto 1-0 to extend their winning streak to four games on Wednesday.
Rooney curled a 35-yard free-kick past Alexander Bono in the 18th minute and that proved to be the difference at Audi Field in Washington.
The 32-year-old's memorable effort – his 10th in 18 MLS appearances – further boosted DC's play-off chances, with the capital club four points clear of Montreal Impact in the sixth and final post-season place in the Eastern Conference after 32 rounds.
Holders Toronto, meanwhile, are already out of the play-off race with two regular-season matches remaining.
Elsewhere, the in-form Sounders beat lowly Orlando City 2-1 to clinch qualification for the play-offs.
Quick-fire goals from Victor Rodriguez and Handwalla Bwana in the first half ensured Seattle advanced to the play-offs for a 10th consecutive season.
Sporting Kansas City returned to second in the Western Conference with a 4-1 rout of Vancouver Whitecaps – all four of the visitors' goals scored in the second half.
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many people will benefit from the Social Security increase in Texas?
- NFL Watt joins long list of players out for Packers vs Cardinals game
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- SOCCER Ronald Koeman fired from FC Barcelona: who are the possible coaches that could replace him?
- Jokic won't miss extended time after knee injury vs. Jazz Tuesday
- MLB Braves vs. Astros live online, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2