Ronaldo deserved Ballon d'Or, says Juventus coach Allegri
Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri feels Cristiano Ronaldo deserved to win the Ballon d'Or, which went to ex-Real Madrid team-mate Luka Modric.
Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo deserved to win the Ballon d'Or but missing out should drive him even more, according to coach Massimiliano Allegri.
Ronaldo finished second to his former Real Madrid team-mate Luka Modric, while Atlético Madrid's Antoine Griezmann was third.
The 33-year-old and Modric helped Madrid win a third straight Champions League in 2018, while the midfielder also guided Croatia to a World Cup final.
"I think this can be a motivation to do even better this season"
Allegri feels Ronaldo would have been a deserved winner of a record sixth Ballon d'Or, but he believes it could motivate the Portuguese superstar.
"I think he deserved to win the Ballon d'Or for what he did with Real Madrid, winning the Champions League," he told reporters on Tuesday.
"At the World Cup with Portugal honestly he couldn't go any further [than the round of 16]. Therefore, I mean, he deserved it.
"But I think that this can be a motivation to do even better this season and win the next Ballon d'Or with Juventus."
Nedved the last Juventus player to claim Ballon d'Or
Juventus have had six players win the Ballon d'Or, Pavel Nedved the most recent in 2003.
Ronaldo has scored 11 goals in 18 games since arriving at Juve in July.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August