Luis Suárez: Maxi Gómez a possible successor at Barça
The Camp Nou scouting department paid particular attention to the Uruguayan on Saturday and view him as a potential replacement for his compatriot.
Barcelona’s scouting department kept a close eye on Celta striker Maxi Gómez on Saturday as Ernesto Valverde’s side beat the Galicians 2-0 and consider the Uruguay international as a potential replacement for his compatriot Luis Suárez.
Barça are keen to find a striker with similar qualities to Suárez, who has himself admitted that a search for a successor is logical given he will be 32 in January, and believe that Gómez, 22 and capped nine times by his country, could be the perfect long-term solution.
“He is a very good player and always has his eye on the opposition goal,” Camp Nou sources said. “He knows how to move well, he’s quick despite his build, he links up well and makes himself available to his teammates and isn’t afraid to have a shot.”
Gómez: eight goals in 15 Liga games
Gómez provided Celta’s only shot on target during Saturday’s game in Camp Nou and has scored eight times for his side in 15 Liga games while providing four assists.
During the match against Barça, Gómez displayed his ability to find his teammates with short passes but didn’t have much of a chance to shine as Celta were blunted in attack by Valverde’s side. He also failed to have much effect when drifting out to the flanks as Suárez does, one of the few negative points on his report card.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7