VILLARREAL 2 - 2 REAL MADRID
Thibaut Courtois responds after Real Madrid drop more points
Los Blancos' goalkeeper spoke after the postponed match against Villarreal, amid more question marks about the credentials of Solari's side.
Thibaut Courtois spoke to Spanish station Movistar Partidazo after Real Madrid's "disappointing" draw against Villarreal on Thursday evening, saying he regretted not having started the new year with a victory.
More dropped points for Madrid
The Belgian goalkeeper's feelings about the 2-2 draw in the rearranged match was tied to the missed chances at the other end of the pitch:
"We are disappointed. We didn't have to draw that game today. We had chances to finish the match but we didn't take them. We were careless at the back, Santi [Cazorla] was left alone at the far post," he explained.
"We had long periods of possession, and created chances, not many but more than them [Villarreal], and they have not caused us much danger. We had control of the game, and we shouldn't have lost points here."
Club World Cup impact
Regarding the Club World Cup, Courtois didn't believe playing away in Abu Dhabi had a negative influence on the team's performance.
"No, I don't think so. We have trained very well recently and everyone was ready for today. We started badly, I made a save in the third minute, they then scored. We recovered quickly and scored two goals, and we also missed two one-on-ones. That was the game."
"Today's match was there to be won, now we're cut off again. We have to now be prepared for Real Sociedad on Sunday."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds