Messi, Suárez miss Barcelona's Copa del Rey tie at Levante
Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde has opted to leave star forwards Luis Suarez and Lionel Messi out of his squad to face Levante.
Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez are absent from Barcelona's squad for the first leg of their Copa del Rey tie at Levante.
Barça, who have won the tournament four years in a row, go to Ciutat de Valencia in the last 16 on Thursday.
But they will do so without two of their leading lights as Ernesto Valverde has opted not to name Messi and Suárez in his squad.
No Munir as striker heads for exit
Jeison Murillo, a loan signing from Valencia, is in the group after being an unused substitute in a 2-1 win against Getafe last time out, Messi and Suárez scoring the goals.
Munir El Haddadi is another absentee after Valverde indicated the striker, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has played his last game for the club.
Vidal could be used further forward
Valverde suggested at a pre-match news conference he was considering using midfielder Arturo Vidal in a more advanced role against Levante.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth