Real Madrid: Greece keen on blooding goal machine Vassi
Christian Vassilakis has been in excellent form for the Real Madrid juniors and Greece are eager to snap him up for the under-19 Euros.
The Greek Football Federation (HFF) is attempting to push through the necessary paperwork to snap up Real Madrid youth teamer Christian Vassilakis in time to include the 17-year-old striker in their squad for the European Under-19 qualification Elite Round in March.
Vassi, as the Valencia-born forward is known, qualifies for Greek nationality through his grandfather and the HFF has for months been attempting to snap him up with an eye on a senior cap to ensure he plies his international trade for Greece. The highly rated teenager banged in more than 500 goals in Valencia’s youth set-up before moving to Real Madrid last season after a spell at Villarreal.
Atlético Madrid attempted to sign Vassi two years ago but were impeded by a FIFA ban on signing players, leaving Real Madrid free to make their move.
Greece see future of national side in Vassi
Real Madrid 18-year-old forward Christian Vassilakis may be eligible to be called up to the Greece U19 squad for the Elite Round in March if paperwork from Greece is done soon https://t.co/AO5Jak8kxS— Dimitris Vergos (@dimitrisvergos) 22 December 2018
In recent weeks the HFF has been intensifying its attempt to nationalize Vassi, with the Spanish Football Federation yet to state any intention to prevent them from doing so.
Vassi has been in excellent form for the Madrid under-18s, scoring four goals in just 20 minutes against Barrio del Pilar and hitting nine overall despite being moved out to the wing largely this season under Álvaro Benito.
Greece will play England, Denmark and the Czech Republic in the Elite Round for a place at the 2019 under-19 European Championship in Armenia.
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history