UEFA fine Simeone €20,000 for 'big balls' gesture, no suspension
Atlético Madrid will have their manager, Diego Simeone, on the touchline for the return leg of the Juventus game in Turin after being hit with a fine for ugly gesture.
UEFA have fined Diego Simeone €20,000 for his gesture after Atlético Madrid scored against Juventus at the Wanda Metropolitano in the Champions League last 16 tie. The Atlético manager celebrated by turning to the stands and grabbing his genitals.
They have not suspended him from the touchline and he can sit on the bench for the upcoming tie against the Serie A side in Turin on Tuesday.
The gesture was not included in the match report and was not picked up on the the UEFA delegate on the touchline. However, it was spotted on the television and UEFA decided to punish the Argentine.
Simeone apologised for the gesture and said it was to point out the character with which his team played with. After the game he said the decision to pick Koke and Costa after being out injured "took cojones" when asked about the gesture.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement