Spanish refs to use purple whistles to celebrate Women's Day
Match day officials in LaLiga, LaLiga 123 along with the women's top flight LaLiga Iberdrola will use specially coloured whistles this weekend.
All match day officials overseeing games in the LaLiga Santander, LaLiga 1/2/3 along with women' top flight league Liga Iberdrola will use a violet coloured whistles this week marking International Women's Day which is celebrated globally on March 8th.
The initiative was presented at the federation of the Spanish FA in Las Rozas in the Madrid suburbs by president Luis Rubiales along with a series of activities celebrating March 8.
The campaign is titled "PitamosTodos" (We're in this together) and is looking to further the role of women in the game with all games in the Liga Iberdrola already being overseen by an all female team of referees and assistants. Spain boasts more than 650 federated women referees with a drive being instigated by the federation to increase this number.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops