Real Madrid: Why Varane might be considering Bernabéu exit
L'Équipe says that Raphael Varane is thinking about leaving the LaLiga giants this summer after eight seasons in the Spanish capital.
Since the start of this season, Raphael Varane has been unhappy with Real Madrid over the club's failure to pay tribute to his role in France's World Cup win. This could be among the reasons why, according to the French newspaper l'Équipe, the 25-year-old is contemplating leaving after eight years at the Bernabéu.
Atlético, Barcelona paid tribute to World Cup winners - but not Madrid
In the wake of Les Bleus' triumphant campaign at Russia 2018, many of Varane's international team-mates saw their achievement commemorated by their clubs at the beginning of the season: for example, Atlético Madrid arranged for Antoine Griezmann, Lucas Hernández and Thomas Lemar to pose with a replica of the World Cup trophy at the Wanda Metropolitano, while Barcelona's Ousmane Dembélé and Samuel Umtiti were given the opportunity to parade their winners' medals at the Camp Nou. There was no such gesture for Varane from Madrid, though.
Madrid believed to have avoided gesture out of respect to Modric
That did not go down well at all with the central defender, who as of this summer will have more competition for his place with the 50-million-euro arrival of Éder Militao from FC Porto. However, it is thought that Los Blancos opted against organising a tribute to the player's World Cup win out of respect to midfielder Luka Modric, whose Croatia side were beaten by France in the final.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Caeleb Dressel 100m swimming, medal count, results, today 29 July
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it
- US NEWS Disgraced USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar has received $2,000 in stimulus checks
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to miss his sixth consecutive MLS game due to injury
- Olympic Games | Gymnastics How tall and what age are the USA gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Jade Carey, the US gymnast replacing Simone Biles at the Olympics?