Muguruza and Kerber battle through in Monterrey
The German two-time runner-up and top seed Kerber and defending champion Muguruza both moved into the second round in Mexico.
Angelique Kerber and Garbiñe Muguruza booked their spots in the Monterrey Open second round on Tuesday.
Kerber, the top seed and two-time runner-up, overcame qualifier Kristina Kucova 7-6 (7-4) 6-2 on the hard-courts in Mexico.
The German's two final defeats at the WTA International event have come to four-time champion Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
Pavlyuchenkova started her bid for a fifth crown with a 6-0 6-3 thrashing of Russian compatriot Anna Blinkova.
Meanwhile, defending champion Muguruza was tested before getting past Romanian Elena-Gabriela Ruse 6-4 7-6 (7-4).
Also in Monterrey, two-time grand slam champion Victoria Azarenka eased through her opener against qualifier Miyu Kato 6-4 6-2.
Kristina Mladenovic battled through, while the only seed to fall was Alison Riske, who was beaten by Sachia Vickery 7-6 (8-6) 6-1.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July