Atlético Madrid negotiating with Otamendi's agent
Andrea Berta has initiated contacts with Jorge Mendes over the signing of Manchester City and Argentina central defender, Nicolas Otamendi.
Nicolás Otamendi is close to Atlético Madrid. The club are very interested in making a deal with with Manchester City for the defender and Andrea Berta, Atlético's sporting director, has initiated contacts with Jorge Mendes, the agent's player.
Atlético need to reinforce their defense after Lucas signed with Bayern and with Diego Godín probably headed to Inter Milan. They have already reached out to and almost sealed a deal for Felipe (29) from Porto and now Otamendi.
Otamendi could make LaLiga return
The possible arrival of Otamendi could see him return to LaLiga after leaving Spain for City back in 2014-15. He shone in one exceptional season and was an undisputed starter alongside Mustafi, who now plays with Arsenal. In 38 games, he played 3,362 minutes and scored six goals.
The Argentine has been ceding ground to Kompany, Stones and Laporte in the battle for minutes and has only played 2,474 minutes this season, which is his lowest since arriving in Manchester.
He has renewed until 2022 with the club but in January, Guardiola said he wasn't happy. "When he plays he's happy, when he doesn't play he's not happy but not just Otamendi, everybody. All of them. I don't know what I can do. Be honest with myself and with them, for sure. I am. Of course when he doesn't play he's not happy."
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT Global Citizen 2021 live online: singers, performances and concerts
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 2021 Why is the White House planning for a government shutdown?
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: how many signatures does the petition for the new payment have?
- SERIE A Honours even between Inter and Atalanta at San Siro
- PREMIER LEAGUE Enthralling Brentford-Liverpool clash ends with honours even
- SOCCER Man City: Guardiola "proud" after breaking record in Chelsea win