Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk named Premier League Player of the Year
Premier League fans, captains and experts have named Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk the division's Player of the Year.
Virgil van Dijk said it was "a great honour" to be named the Premier League Player of the Season, after winning the votes of fans, team captains and a panel of experts. The 27-year-old Liverpool centre-back is the first defender to win the award since Manchester City's Vincent Kompany did so in 2011-12, having played in all of Liverpool's 37 league matches ahead of their final-day clash with Wolves.
Van Dijk proud of latest award
Across those 37 appearances, Van Dijk was part of a defence that kept 20 clean sheets and collected 29 victories, and the award comes after he was named the PFA Players' Player of the Year in April.
"It's a great honour and I'm very proud," Van Dijk told the Premier League's official website upon receiving his latest honour. "Without everyone here at Liverpool, fans and players, it wouldn't be possible so I will definitely give them credit for all of it as well. I think the whole season in the Premier League has been outstanding."
Van Dijk succeeds Liverpool team-mate Mohamed Salah as the winner of the award, having beaten off competition from the Egyptian, Sadio Mané, Sergio Agüero, Bernardo Silva, Raheem Sterling and Eden Hazard.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?