Atlanta United named Sports Team of the Year
The MLS franchise beat the likes of the Golden State Warriors and Washington Capitals to win Sports Team of the Year at the Sports Business Awards.
Major League Soccer had a great night at the annual Sports Business Awards on Thursday, with Atlanta United named Sports Team of the Year for their second season in the MLS, a campaign which saw the Five Stripes crowned as the league's champions.
Atlanta United beat out teams like the NBA side Golden State Warriors, NHL champions the Washington Capitals or the Milwaukee Brewers from the MLB for the honour, becoming the second soccer team to win the award.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
Atlanta United president Darren Eales said to mlssoccer.com about the award: "It's amazing when you think of the teams we were up with, the Golden State Warriors and teams from the top sports in America, it's humbling and a real credit to our fans. They're the reason the club has been the success it is. I can't thank them enough. It still boggles my mind how many fans we get to turn up week in, week out to watch the games. Two years in, there's a long way to go, but it's been a fantastic start for us."
The home venue of Atlanta United was also awarded the Sports Facility of the Year prize.
The Five Stripes, who have been among the Sports Business Awards nominees two years in a row, had a fantastic 2018 campaign, winning the MLS Cup while also averaging a league-leading 52,003 attendance, breaking the 70,000 mark five times during the regular season.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Rodgers taunts Bears fans: "All my f****** life I own you" after Packers win
- NFL Browns QB Mayfield dislocates shoulder again but expects to play Thursday
- SERIE A Johan Vásquez scores in his Serie A debut with Genoa
- REAL MADRID Benzema has his eyes set on this year's Ballon d'Or
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Mbappé looks to follow Ronaldo's path at Real Madrid
- NBA Simmons returns to 76ers practice, will play 'when he's ready'