Semedo picked by Simeone to replace Juanfran at right-back
If Antoine Griezmann leaves Atlético Madrid for Barcelona, they will look to coax them into sending them Semedo for a discounted price.
The list of names linked with a move to Atlético Madrid to replace Juanfran has been extensive since he announced his decision to leave the club. He will move to Japan and league a hole at right-back that will be hard to fill. Diego Simeone has picked Nelson Semedo as the man to do that job though.
The Portuguese defender has the quality to attack and defend in equal measure and Simeone likes his potential. He shared duties with Sergi Roberto in that role this season but the academy product was used more given his versatility and ability to change position during games. Semedo, on the other hand, only plays at full-back.
Semedo interested in the offer from Atlético
The 25-year-old's representatives know of the interest and have reacted positively to it. If they want to follow through, they can seal the deal but they are not lacking offers from Italy or the Premier League.
He has a contract until 2022 and a release clause of €100 million. If Griezmann does leave for Barcelona, the plan is that Atlético will speak to Semedo in an effort to reach an agreement that suits everyone. That means Barça will be let off the hook for some of the €120 million in Griezmann's release clause but will potentially have to give up Semedo.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth