Lyon full-back Ferland Mendy says yes to Real Madrid move
The Olympique Lyon full-back is another step closer to becoming a Real Madrid player. Zidane has spoken to him and what role he would have in the team.
Ferland Mendy is set to become Real Madrid's new left-back. The Olympique Lyon defender has held several conversations with Zidane over the past few days to discuss the coach's plans for next season and what role Mendy would have at Real Madrid. As it stands, Mendy would be competing for a place with Marcelo while Sergio Reguilón is expected to go out on loan once he renews his contract with the club. Zidane wants to rejuvenate the team but maintain some experienced players to overcome the problems they will face over the course of the campaign.
Fekir and Ndombele set to leave Lyon
Last week, Jean-Michel Aulas confirmed that three players would be leaving Lyon this summer: Nabil Fekir (in all likelihood to the Premier League), Tanguy Ndombele (who is aklso on Madrid's radar) and Mendy. Lyon have been holding back from letting any of the three leave until new coach Sylvinho was officially unveiled yesterday.
Transfer fee disagreement
The one obstacle as far as Lyon are concerned is the transfer fee. They are hoping to sell Mendy for a figure between 50 and 60 million euros - an asking price which Madrid are not willing to meet. However, Aulas and Florentino Pérez have a good relationship so a deal could be struck which suits both parties. Madrid have stepped up their part in the operation to deter other interested clubs including Barcelona, Juventus and PSG and Mendy has given his word to Zidane that he wants to be at the Bernabéu for the new season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness