Mexico make it two wins from two ahead of Gold Cup
The Mexican national team beat Ecuador 3-2 in their last friendly before the summer tournament, where they will open up against Cuba.
The Mexican national team wanted to prove their value in their final Gold Cup warm-up against Ecuador, who needed to show their quality after a 1-1 draw against Venezuela.
Gerardo Martino made a few changes to his line-up for the match in Dallas, a game in which El Tri had control of the ball for most of the first half. Mexico's dominance was rewarded when Jona dos Santos, the LA Galaxy midfielder, stepped up with an outstanding goal from outside of the box to give his side a 1-0 lead going into the break.
In the second half, both Martino and his Ecuador counterpart, Hernán Darío Gómez, rang the changes to give the rest of their players a run-out, and they were moves that gave a breath of fresh air to both squads. Ecuador struck first through Ángel Mena early in the second half to give the South Americans the equaliser.
The game started to spend a lot of time in the middle of the park, but Mexico won a free-kick that César Montes drove in splendidly to earn a 2-1 lead, an advantage that didn't last for long as Eduar Preciado scored Ecuador's second a couple of minutes later.
But Mexico weren't done yet, and in the 76th minute Luis Rodríguez gave Martino's side the lead again, a goal which Ecuador couldn't recover from as El Tri sealed their second win in a row before turning their attentions to the Gold Cup.
Mexicans kick off campaign against Cuba
Mexico will make their debut in the CONCACAF summer tournament on Saturday, 15 June against Cuba.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Rodgers taunts Bears fans: "All my f****** life I own you" after Packers win
- NFL Browns QB Mayfield dislocates shoulder again but expects to play Thursday
- SERIE A Johan Vásquez scores in his Serie A debut with Genoa
- REAL MADRID Benzema has his eyes set on this year's Ballon d'Or
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Mbappé looks to follow Ronaldo's path at Real Madrid
- NBA Simmons returns to 76ers practice, will play 'when he's ready'