Brazil need Coutinho to step up with Neymar injured – Thiago Silva
With Neymar sidelined for the Copa America, Thiago Silva wants Barcelona midfielder Philippe Coutinho to deliver the goods for Brazil at the tournament.
Thiago Silva called on Philippe Coutinho to step up for Brazil in Neymar's absence at the Copa América.
Coutinho on target
Brazil thrashed a 10-man Honduras 7-0 in their final friendly before the tournament on Sunday, with Coutinho scoring a penalty and providing an assist. Neymar will miss the Copa América due to an ankle injury in a huge blow for the hosts, who are considered among the favourites. Silva acknowledged Coutinho had endured a tough time at Barcelona, but he hopes the player can deliver with Neymar sidelined.
"The collective game comes first. Coutinho had a difficult season in Barcelona. It was demanding and they booed him many times, but here in the team he is our reference, especially when we don't have Neymar," he said. "Coutinho calls for the game. In the two friendlies we played he was the best player on the pitch, not only because of passes and goals, but also with his defence. He is finding his happiness again. I'm very happy and not at all comfortable talking about this player because we are very close. In the first friendly, I tried to pass him some calmness, and I told Neymar also to give him help. We need him, especially now with the absence of Neymar."
Brazil open their Copa campaign against Bolivia in São Paulo on Friday then take on Venezuela the following Tuesday.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong