Barcelona to host Arsenal in Joan Gamper Trophy
The Catalan club will host the Gunners in their traditional annual friendly, meaning a reunion between Unai Emery and Ernesto Valverde.
Arsenal will be Barcelona's opponents in the annual Joan Gamper Trophy match, the Catalan club's traditional season curtain-raiser.
The 2019 edition of the Joan Gamper Trophy game – named in honour of the businessman who founded Barca – will be the 54th.
It will be Arsenal's first appearance in the match, which sees Barça face a different guest each year.
Barca have won each of the last six editions, beating Boca Juniors, Chapecoense, Sampdoria, Roma, León and Santos, the game against the latter finishing 8-0.
Manchester City the last English side to win Gamper trophy
Arsenal will be the sixth English club invited to play for the trophy. Manchester City were the last to feature, beating Barca 1-0 in 2009, making them one of only two sides with Sampdoria to win the match since 2005.
The match will be held at Camp Nou on August 4 after Barca have returned from their other pre-season commitments, which will see them play against Chelsea and Vissel Kobe – the club of Andres Iniesta, Sergi Samper and David Villa – in Japan, as well as a trip to the United States for the LaLiga Serie A Cup against Napoli.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze