Real Madrid ask for games to be played away from Bernabéu
With the remodelling of the famous Santiago Bernabéu stadium already underway, the capital club has requested no early games at home.
Real Madrid have contacted LaLiga to ask for permission to play their first three games of the 2019/20 season away from home, with key building work on the stadium expected to continue into the campaign.
Early away days for Madrid
The renovation of the world famous stadium began as soon as last season - one Madridistas want to forget - concluded. The full project, an ambitious one that will see a retractable roof added among a variety of other modern features, is scheduled to take around three and a half years, with the main work to be done during the off-seasons.
Asking for some extra time to complete this summer's plan is due to the knocking down of one of the corners of the Bernabéu, and Madrid expect to be given permission. A similar action was authorised two years ago when neighbours Atlético were completing the Metropolitano stadium.
As yet the clubs do not know the fixtures for the coming season, these will be announced on Thursday 4 July, and it is then that the conditions could be taken into account and confirmation provided.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August