Nuevo Bernabéu: work continues as roof is ready to fall
The Esquina Bernabéu is where work is most advanced and the roof is ready to be pulled down and scaffolding has been erected.
The renovation of the Bernabéu is moving forward. The estimated finish date is October 2022 with the work being carried out by FCC. It will be covered in stainless steel with a retractable roof along with a 360 degree LED screen that will completely modernise the inside of the stadium.
The price of the rebuild is €575 million with financing for 27 years. Real Madrid will pay €29.5 million per year starting in 2023 and ending on 30 July 2049: the total amount will come to €796.5 million including interest. The Esquina Bernabéu, which is a restaurant and shopping centre built into and beside the Bernabéu is where work is most advanced.
Esquina Bernabéu's roof ready to be taken down
Inside, it has been completely demolished. Workers on the project have told AS that the roof will be taken down and scaffolding has been erected for the last month.
They have already taken advantage of the quiet summer months to replace the turf in the stadium, which will be ready for the first home game of the season against Valladolid on August 24 despite Real Madrid requesting to have their first home games of the season moved. They have also improved drainage with a subcontractor checking all of the pipes surrounding the stadium.
Te recomendamos en English
- Tottenham Hotspur What José Mourinho brings to Tottenham Hotspur
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho in 2015: 'I could never manage Tottenham'
- PREMIER LEAGUE Spurs: Kane thanks Pochettino for making "dreams" come true
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid not happy with Bale's 'bad joke' with Wales flag
- REAL MADRID Zidane to deal with hot button issue of Bale on Thursday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho's best fall-outs: From 'Demenza senile' to eye-pokes