Borussia Dortmund's Omer Toprak joins Werder Bremen on loan
Omer Toprak started for Borussia Dortmund in their DFL-Supercup win over Bayern Munich but has now joined Bundesliga rivals Werder Bremen.
Werder Bremen have signed Borussia Dortmund centre-back Omer Toprak on a season-long loan with an option to buy to further strengthen their defence ahead of the new Bundesliga season. Toprak was a regular in the Dortmund side of 2017-18 but fell out of favour last season, making just one Bundesliga start as Lucien Favre's side narrowly missed out on the title.
He becomes the second defender to join Florian Kohfeldt's side in the pre-season, after fellow centre-back Marco Friedl arrived in a €3.35million deal from Bayern Munich.
Dortmund announced that Werder have "agreed a purchase option as part of the deal, which will take effect under realistic circumstances".
Turkey international Toprak, 30, started his career at Freiburg where he helped the club to 2. Bundesliga glory before joining Bayer Leverkusen for €3m in June 2011.
Dortmund paid €12m to take him to Signal Iduna Park in June 2017, and his most recent appearance came in a DFL-Supercup victory over Bayern Munich on August 3.
Kohfeldt told Werder's official website: "Omer is a fast centre-back who has played at the highest level for years. We are very glad that he has decided to join us.
"He last played a very strong game in the Supercup against Bayern and can help us directly."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS How can I register to vote in New Jersey?
- USMNT Christian Pulisic is ‘really suffering’ after ankle injury setbacks
- MLS Landon Donovan rejects the Real Salt Lake managerial job
- SOCCER Barcelona close to agreeing new Ansu Fati contract - Koeman
- NBA Milwaukee Bucks 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA Los Angeles Lakers 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades