Tottenham trophy target is a personal ambition for Mauricio Pochettino
Failing to secure silverware would not be a failure for Tottenham, claims Mauricio Pochettino, despite his own hope to end the drought.
Mauricio Pochettino says winning a trophy this season is a purely personal objective and not a barometer for Tottenham as a club. On the eve of his sixth campaign in charge, Spurs boss Pochettino admitted the time had come for him to deliver silverware. The comments contrasted with his previously held view that a trophy was less important than cementing a place in the Premier League's top four.
Time for silverware at Spurs
Tottenham achieved that top-four aim last term while reaching the Champions League final, which they lost 2-0 to Liverpool. Pochettino claims his goals have not changed since that result and are not necessarily an accurate measure of success. Spurs' performance in last season's Champions League and in the final in Madrid suggest that the wait for silverware may soon be coming to an end.
"Of course it was always my priority [to win trophies], but it was a big priority to help the club," Pochettino told Sky Sports. "It doesn't change that. Always my priority is to win, to win games and trophies. I think a few days ago someone asked me what my aim was for this season. My personal objective is to win a trophy, but that doesn't mean that winning a trophy is compulsory, or that it will be an unsuccessful season if we do not win a trophy. But personally, if at the end we do not win a trophy, for myself that is going to be an unsuccessful season. But that does not mean that it will be unsuccessful for the club. That is for myself, not the collective."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Why is the social security Cost-of-Living Adjustment for 2022 projected at 6.0% to 6.1%?
- NFL Injury struck Baltimore Ravens face the Kansas City Chiefs
- Emmy Awards 2021 How are Emmy awards chosen?
- EMMY AWARDS 2021 2021 Emmy Awards: Times, TV, how to stream and watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Klopp gives lowdown after win over Crystal Palace
- LIGUE 1 PSG vs Lyon, how and where to watch - Messi home debut, times, TV, online