Josef Martínez closing in on Leo Messi world record
The Atlanta United striker has broken the MLS record for scoring in consecutive matches. The world record however, belongs to FC Barcelona star, Lionel Messi.
The has been no shortage of new records being set in this season's MLS - with Chris Wondolowski surpassing Landon Donovan's all-time goals record, or Carlos Vela becoming the top Mexican scorer in league history to Zlatan setting a new shots-on-goal record.
Atlanta United striker, Josef Martinez is also making history in the US league, he set the most goals in a single season during last year's campaign, and now he is on course to take a world record set by no other than Barcelona's Lionel Messi.
The Venezuelan striker has scored in 12 consecutive MLS games, surpassing his previous record, and now is closely approaching the world record. Martinez currently shares third place in the table with Robert Lewandowski ahead of household names such as Jamie Vardy and Gabriel Bautista.
Consecutive games scoring record
|Lionel Messi||FC Barcelona||2013-14||21||33|
|Tor Henning Hamre||Flora Tallinn||2003||15||21|
|Josef Martinez||Atlanta United||2019||12||17|
|Robert Lewandowski||Borussia Dortmund||2012-13||12||14|
|Jamie Vardy||Leicester City||2015-16||11||13|
|Jose Cardozo||CD Toluca||2002-03||11||20|
|Ara Hakobian||Banants Yerevan||2003||11||23|
Martinez is behind Norwegian striker Tor Henning Hamre who scored in 15 consecutive games in 2003 and FC Barcelona ace Lionel Messi who scored in 21 straight matches in the 2013-14 season. Josef still has a way to go, but if he can keep up his fine form in front of goal, he could well get close to or even beat Messi's world record.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics