Keylor Navas: "I don't feel resentment towards anyone at Real Madrid"
Keylor Navas and Paris Saint-Germain got the better of Real Madrid in France, but revenge was not the order of the day for the former Madrid goalkeeper.
Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Keylor Navas insisted he took no special satisfaction from helping to pile the pain on his former club Real Madrid in the Champions League. A lacklustre Madrid were soundly beaten 3-0 at Parc des Princes on Wednesday and have now won just two of their opening five matches in all competitions this term.
Great night for former Madridistas
Navas, 32, made his second start for PSG after joining the Ligue 1 champions from Madrid in a deadline-day deal that saw Alphonse Areola head in the opposite direction. Another former Madrid player, Ángel Di María, scored twice for the hosts before Thomas Meunier added the final blow in second-half stoppage time.
"I am very happy because we won, not because we beat Real Madrid," Navas said. "My team-mates put in a great effort, gave their best and we won, which is really important for us. I have no resentment towards anyone at Real. I just want to enjoy the moment I have here at my new club. Everyone is very motivated and I will defend my new colours as I did with Madrid. I want to continue writing my story. The one I lived in Madrid was very beautiful. I want to be happy here, enjoy every moment and for my family to be happy, that is the main thing."
New start in Paris
Family, Navas claimed, was the reason he accepted PSG's offer of a four-year contract, and not because he had lost his starting place to Thibaut Courtois. The Costa Rica international spent five seasons at the Santiago Bernabéu, winning the Champions League three times.
"I did not leave Real Madrid because of that," he said, when asked about the rivalry with Courtois. "I left because my family and I thought this was the best option for us. I was welcomed as if I had been here for a very long time. The best I can give is to defend these colours to the death, to work hard and to try to win important games."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August