Jonathan Gonzalez doesn't regret choosing Mexico over USA
The Mexican-American midfielder Jonathan González does not regret playing for the Mexican National Team because he did not feel appreciated by USA.
Almost two years ago, Jonathan Gonzalez decided to make the switch from the US national team to the Mexican side, a decision he does not regret while waiting for his breakthrough with El Tri.
The former USA under 20 midfielder, talked to SBI about changing alliances and the fact that he has had two appearances for El Tri since asking FIFA for a one-time change to the Mexican team.
"I knew that the decision was never going to be easy. I knew whatever decision I made there were going to be a lot of changes. The decision I made was the best for me and best for my future. I'm really happy that I made the right decision."
Jonathan Gonzalez's choice to play for Mexico came after the massive attention he received from the Mexican federation unlike what he experienced from the Stars and Stripes side, as he felt ignored by the US Soccer federation.
"When you have one side making you feel wanted, but the other side doesn't make you feel important it makes you think, there wasn't that same communication, and it didn't feel like there was real interest," said Gonzalez.
Gonzalez has yet to face the United States
Jonathan Gonzalez hasn't faced his former national team thus far, almost doing so during Mexico's loss a year ago, although he was present in the stadium, he didn't see any action; however, Jonathan couldn't deny the mixed feelings he had.
"It's something I'm going to have to face, I feel like it's going to be a really good moment for me, being there and seeing my old teammates and playing against them. That's something that's going to be very awesome. I know I might not be wearing the same colors as them, but just being on the field with the guys I used to play with when I was younger is something that's going to be pretty awesome."
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?