Wayne Rooney lookalike sparks rumours of early England return
The DC United captain announced that he'd agreed to a player-coach role with Derby County, and is expected to join in January after two seasons in the MLS.
DC United captain Wayne Rooney had the Red Devils fans confused for a moment as they were convinced their former star was secretly playing for the reserves after footage emerged of a mysterious lookalike smashing home a remarkable free-kick.
The Rooney-esque player was actually Manchester United youngster Mark Helm, and his technique caught fans' attention. The video clip went crazy on Twitter as rumours spread of Rooney missing some precious time with his MLS club to play with the Red Devils reserve team.
Rooney is completing his final season with DC United before moving back to England, after agreeing on a player-coach deal with Derby County.
DC United have secured their place in the post-season and will fight for a home playoff game when they face Cincinnati next Sunday, victory guaranteeing it regardless of other Eastern Conference results.
However, the Washington based team will have to endure the last game of the MLS regular season without their captain, since Rooney picked up his 5th yellow card of the season earning him a suspension.
Recommended in English
- NFL How and where to watch Broncos vs. Chiefs
- NFL Who plays Sunday night football tonight, week 13
- NFL What's the problem with Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins?
- LALIGA Barcelona: Gavi taken to hospital with concussion
- NCAA How much money do NCAA football coaches make?
- COVID-19 What is the natural rate of unemployment formula?