Nadal to miss Shanghai Masters due to wrist injury
The world number two will miss the Shanghai Masters due to injury for the second year in a row after his wrist problem flared up again.
World number two Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Shanghai Masters due to a wrist injury.
Nadal, 33, played at the Laver Cup last month, but missed his matches on the final day because of the problem.
The Spaniard, who won the US Open in September for his 19th grand slam title, was due to play in Shanghai, but his withdrawal was confirmed on Friday.
"Hi all, I am very sad to announce that I won't be able to play in Shanghai this year. It is the second year in a row and in China I have great fans," Nadal said, via the tournament's website.
"The tournament is amazing and the city one of the most special places around the world.
"But, as you all probably know, I had an inflammation on my left wrist during the Laver Cup and I haven't had the time to recover and practice to be ready for this amazing event.
"I hope to be back in Shanghai for the 2020 tournament."
A two-time runner-up in Shanghai, Nadal missed the event last year due to a knee injury.
Shanghai Masters tournament director Michael Luevano wished Nadal all the best in his recovery.
"We will obviously miss not having Rafa here at the Shanghai Masters. He has been an incredible supporter of the tournament and of tennis in China," he said.
"He gives so much when he is on the court and his toughness knows no bounds like in 2014 when he played the tournament while suffering appendicitis.
"It should go without saying that on behalf of everyone at the Shanghai Masters we hope the left wrist mends fully and he is back on tour very soon, continuing to enthral fans with his tennis.
"Also, on a personal note, as well as speaking for the entire family at the Shanghai Masters, we wish Rafa and his fiancé Maria Francisca [Perello] all the very best for their upcoming wedding.
"Rafa's legions of fans in Shanghai and China look forward to welcoming him back in 2020."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August