Scaloni: Lautaro, Dybala are Argentina's future
Lautaro Martinez and Paulo Dybala will have the chance to impress Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni in Wednesday's friendly with Germany.
Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni claimed Lautaro Martinez and Paulo Dybala are the future of the national team ahead of Wednesday’s friendly with Germany.
Scaloni confirmed his starting lineup for the international in Dortmund and named the pair to start up front in the absence of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and a host of players from River Plate and Boca Juniors, who have been withdrawn due to Copa Libertadores commitments later this month.
The 41-year-old is looking to integrate fresh names into the team ahead of back-to-back Copa Americas and the start of 2022 World Cup qualifying next year.
In-form Martinez and Dybala both scored in Sunday’s top-of-the-table Derby D’Italia as Juventus defeated Inter 2-1, and Scaloni is excited to seeing the pair link-up for their country.
Germany "a challenge" for Argentina - Scaloni
"I think they will be called up to the Argentina National Team for many years and in this change and re-structuring, they are the ones who should hold the flag up high," he told reporters.
"They are good friends and more importantly the future of this shirt. Last Sunday’s game was very good and we hope they play well together (on Wednesday).
"They (Germany) have great players that are out due to injury but we do as well and they are just as important as their players. It’s a challenge and many of them who will go out tomorrow will find out if they are capable of playing.
"I believe this is the last step in finalising our squad and seeing who we have.”
Argentina’s friendly with Germany is the first of two European-based friendlies for La Albiceleste with a fixture to come against Ecuador at Elche’s Martinez Valero Stadium on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes
- Tax Refund How many Americans will receive the $1600 Tax refund payment?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Women´s 100m final, USA Basketball, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Henry Martín could miss Mexico’s game against South Korea
- OLYMPIC GAMES What's the top speed of a 100m sprinter?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS What are Usain Bolt's records on the Olympic track? 100m, 200m...